Prep Time: 7 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
Servings: 8 – 12 (depending on the size of muffin tray)
- 5-6 whole eggs
- 2-3 egg whites
- 1 container of fresh baby spinach (approx. 142g/5oz) OR 1 small pack of frozen chopped spinach
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp oil
- (optional) 2 tbsp parmesan cheese OR 2 tbsp nutritional yeast for a B12 boost, spices to taste (cumin, paprika, pepper)
- (optional) 150-200 grams of ham, cubed or sliced
- Preheat oven to 375⁰C
- Line muffin tray with liners or lightly grease
- Chop up the veggies
- Sauté onion and mushrooms in the tbsp of oil until the liquid is released from the mushrooms
- Add pepper and sauté until soft.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 min.
- Take veggies out of pan and allow to cool in bowl
- Beat the eggs and egg whites together in large bowl and add veggies when cool
- (optional) Add parmesan cheese, nutritional yeast or any spices you like (e.g., cumin, paprika, pepper)
- (optional) Mix in ham
- Pour into muffin liners or tins and place in oven.
- Depending on the size of the muffin tins, should take about 15 to 18 mins to be done. Check by inserting a toothpick into the centre. When it comes out clean it’s done!
Nutrition Notes: Protein and iron rich, great for healthy fats and energy
- Calories: 140
- Fat: 4.7g
- Protein: 6.7g
- Carbohydrates: 1.1g
- Sodium: 150mg
- Iron: 2mg
Date: March 15, 2017