Here is a recipe that is a household favourite. It’s easy and virtually every ingredient (except rice) is optional!
I used partially-boiled (par-boiled, also called converted) rice because it’s very quick, comes in brown or white if you have a preference, and is a low-glycemic food. You can certainly make this with any rice your family enjoys; just cook the rice first before adding the veg.
This recipe can be altered to be vegan (remove egg) and can be gluten-free if you use GF soy sauce!
Prep Time: 7 mins
Cooking Time: 45 mins (if using parboiled rice, 25 mins)
Servings: 6 – 8
- 1 cup parboiled brown rice
- 2 ½ cups water (or fill to ¾ pot; water may not all be absorbed)
- 1 tbsp. Coconut oil OR Avocado oil OR Canola oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 to 2 carrots, cut into rounds or matchsticks
- ½ cup celery, thinly chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or 1 tsp pre-chopped)
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 whole egg with yolk
- 2-3 tbsp liquid egg white
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Handful of raw cashews
- ½ cup to 1 cup of any of these frozen veggies:
- Green Peas
- Baby corn
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar OR lemon juice OR lime juice
- In a large pot, bring the rice and water to a boil, stir and reduce to a simmer for 40 minutes, covered.
- When the rice has about 10 minutes left to cook, heat the oil to medium-high in a pan and sauté the onion and carrot.
- Add the celery and broccoli after 1 minute and sauté.
- When onions are translucent, add the garlic and ginger and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- When the rice has about 5 minutes left to cook, use a spoon to make a hole in the middle of the rice and add the sautéed veggies into rice.
- Stir the rice and veggies together, then make a hole in the rice again and add the egg and egg white.
- Let the egg fry until almost cooked then mix it in with the rice and veggies.
- While the egg is cooking, use the pan that you sautéed the veggies in to lightly toast the sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and cashews on low. Add to rice when toasted.
- When the rice is ready add the frozen veggies, and heat them by stirring into the warm rice.
- Stir the sesame oil, rice vinegar and soy sauce into the rice and continue to cook until desired crispy-ness is achieved. Feel free to add hot sauce to adult portions!
Date: March 15, 2017