Who doesn’t love a hearty bowl of pasta? Whether it’s been a crazy school day for the kids or a long work day for you, this recipe is delicious, nourishing, and ready in a hurry. Customize it to suit your family’s diet. Enjoy!
1-1.5 cups dry pasta of your choice- whatever amount and type works for your family, but avoid rice and corn pasta for this recipe (they’re too sticky)
3/4 cup of tomato sauce per cup of pasta
1 cup protein of your choice- ground meat, leftover chicken, lentils or kidney beans
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup cheese (shredded mozzarella, shaved Parmesan or ricotta work well) or or 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
Dried basil and oregano
1. Heat oven to 375*F.
2.Cook pasta in salted boiling water. Prepare al dente, 2 minutes less than you would normally.
3. While pasta is cooking, prepare protein- open and rinse lentils or beans, cook ground meat or dice leftover chicken.
4. Put a thin layer of sauce at bottom of casserole dish.
5. Drain pasta and put half into dish. Layer half of sauce, meat and cheese into dish. Season with dried oregano and bail.
6. Spread peas into dish and then complete one more layer with rest of pasta, sauce and meat. Top with cheese or nutritional yeast and spices.
7. Bake in oven until cheese is gold and bubbly, around 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Pro tip: Leave the salt, pepper or any spicy seasonings off until serving the adult portions.